- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups packed golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Organic Meadow Butter, melted
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Organic Meadow Vanilla Kefir
- 3 cups shredded carrots
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3/4 cup Organic Meadow Cultured Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Organic Meadow Light Cream Cheese
- 2 cups confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted sweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line 13 x 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, with paper overhanging sides.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves.
3. In large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar and butter until smooth. One at a time, add eggs, scraping down sides between each addition. Fold in kefir until smooth and combined. Stir in carrots. Pour batter into prepared baking dish; smooth top.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake. Let cool completely.
5. Cream Cheese Frosting: Meanwhile, in large bowl, using handheld electric mixer on medium-high speed, whip butter for 6 to 8 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in cream cheese until smooth. Reduce speed to low. One cup at a time, beat in confectioners’ sugar, incorporating fully after each addition. Add vanilla and beat for 4 to 6 minutes or until mixture is light, fluffy and smooth.
6. Spread frosting over cooled cake and garnish with coconut. Cut into 16 bars before serving.
Tip: Unfrosted baked carrot cake bars can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or wrap unfrosted bars individually and freeze for up to 3 months. Let bars come to room temperature before frosting and serving.